Casa Balș

Strada Cuza Vodă, nr. 29 Iași, județul Iași

The building that belonged to the treasurer Alecu Balș was erected around the year 1815, in the neoclassical style characteristic of the late 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century. Later, the building housed the French Sacré Coeur Institute of the nuns from the Order of Notre Dame de Sion, which was already established in Iași at the beginning of the 19th century. Between 1900-1910, an extension was built, continuing the old Balș House, located at Cuza Vodă Street, no. 29.
In the salon on the first floor of the Balș House, the first play in Romanian was performed in 1817, and on January 18, 1847, a concert was held by the great pianist and composer Franz Liszt. The ensemble on Cuza Vodă Street currently includes the Alecu Balș House, the Moldova Philharmonic, and the "George Enescu" University of Arts.

After a long period in which the building served various functions, there have been partially completed consolidation and repurposing projects, with interruptions for extended periods of time. The main façade, facing the park between the National Theater and the Metropolitan Cathedral, benefits from a small square for circulation where the statue of Miron Costin is located. The main entrance, on the raised ground floor, is accessed via a portico, which also facilitates pedestrian flow along Cuza Vodă Street.
On the ground floor are the reception and distribution areas to the administrative offices of the Moldova Philharmonic, to the large hall of the Philharmonic in the adjoining building, and the main staircase to the next level, where the Rectorate of the "George Enescu" University of Arts is located.
On the first floor is the "Eduard Caudella" Hall, initially intended for the university orchestra's study and rehearsals, with a capacity of 144 seats. Currently, it is also used for concerts and theater performances. The second floor and the "attic," arranged in the high loft, include study rooms and a large space for the orchestra.
The large halls on the first two floors are used for exhibitions by students from the Faculty of Fine Arts.